Saturday, May 10, 2014

Quints for Bridgette

Last night, Grey, the other badger ewe in my flock, gave us triplets. A black, a black HST, and the very first broken grey badger faced....ram! Yay!

They made it through the night well, but in all honesty I haven't had much time to look in on them again.

With the impending rain forecast for last night, I chose to close Bridgette into a jug, to prevent any lambing outdoors in a thunderstorm.

This morning after checking on Grey and lambs, and feeding the most recent mothers, I checked in on Bridgette.
Showing signs of restlessness I opted to get closer and realized she was in labor. I thought she would have either big triplets or quads and in the last day or so was leaning toward quads, but its always a guess.

Fortunately hubby was off and could lend a pair of hands if needed, so I went about getting the lambing kit and camera and went to sit with her.

In short order she began pushing so I felt sure lambs would present soon.

Not so. She struggled and pushed several times and no head. This was, for me a clue. I began to think she was having big lambs similar to last year.

Time passed and eventually I could see a little nose but the shock was that it was enormous. Beyond any lamb I've seen born yet, and I realized, no hooves. Uh oh. Not good.

Donning OB gloves and exploring, I came to understand that the moment I've dreaded for years had arrived. Two lambs coming at once, and I couldn't decipher who was attached to what parts. I tried pushing the top lamb back, tugging the big lamb forward, and got Nada.

The big lamb's head presented fully but I was afraid if something didn't happen quickly he would die, yet my efforts were for naught.

I closed my eyes, felt around, prayed, felt some more and tried to think. I called for moral support and hubby came down to help. Worried for my ewe, and sure I would loose the lamb, I did it all over again, and then took a break while hubby did an exploratory as well.

We realized that the lamb had expired, and on my next exploration, to my dismay I felt lamb number three. So, one lamb with a head already born, one lamb above it, and now one underneath, all struggling to be born at once.

After unsuccessfully trying to push them back we jointly decided to simply let them all come forward at the same time, and that's what finally happened.  Hubby pulled on the first and I the second, simultaneously, and out they came, with number three following shortly.

The first lamb was indeed huge, but the size of his head was bigger than any I had ever seen previously. He was all white. Sadly, with no life in him at all.

Bridgette started to lick and talk to the lambs immediately, and we took a breath to determine what other supplies we needed.

Leaving hubby to watch over, I went to get water, some Nuti Drench and more towels only to return and find lamb #5!  The ewe had been carrying 5 lambs. Not four. Poor thing. What a good ewe having to put up with so much discomfort, effort to give birth, and then love all of her lambs. The good news is that she didn't seem to know she lost the first one.

So, all this by 7:30 a.m.
So many things went right. Hubby was home, she lambed inside, not in the rain and waiting till morning or we'd have been doing all this in the dark. Four fine, vigorous lambs - 2 ewe lambs, and 2 ram lambs. and mom is holding up. All is well that ends well.

 Sorry about the lack of pics, but I have a ton of stuff to do yet, and could be lambing again later in the day. Pics will follow as soon as I can get to it!
Thank you Lord!

Regards,
Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment