Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ram Aggression

When we began our shepherding journey, our very first Finnsheep was Treble Clef - the boy on the right. He came to us at about six months of age.


Brothers Panda and Treble Clef
I was struck by his friendly nature and wanted a sheep in the worst way, so a deal was made and this fledgling shepherd brought home the first ram, and first Finnsheep.

Although I had heard many times, never to trust a ram or turn your back, my experience with young Clef was such that aggression on his part was non-existent and our blissfully happy relationship continued this way for more than a year. As one might imagine, I forgot all the dire warnings I'd heard, and came and went from the sheep pasture with ne'er a thought as to consequences.....until....one day.

 During routine chores I entered into the sheep enclosure ( by this time the ewes were also in with Clef as it was breeding season ) and proceeded about the task of picking up the rubber feed dishes without regard for where Clef happened to be in the pasture.

Suddenly, rudely and without warning, my beloved ram and friend, charged me full on and connected in a rather painful butt. Stunned by the unexpectedness of it, I stood dumbfounded as he came at me again, and again. My first reaction was to clock his head, which was merely an invite to continue, not a good choice (I later reasoned). Eventually it occurred to me to rump him, set him on his butt much like one does when shearing, to show dominance. This finally convinced him I was the boss, and after a bit of humiliation on his part, I let him up and he walked away without further incident.

I'd like to say that was the last of it, but that would be untrue. A handful more times over the next two or three years he tried it again but I had found the key, and immediately rumped him which invariably ended the session.

We've been shepherding partners now for six years and our relationship is a good one. We respect each other and enjoy spending time together for those scratches, rubs and invariable kisses. He has been my foundation ram leaving many progeny which show no signs of the same behavior.

I've learned that breeding season brings a whole new level of behaviors which I can anticipate and also, never to turn my back on any of the boys regardless of time of year. They seem to think of me as their ewe and competition for my attention can sometimes cause a bit of pushing and shoving which I watch out for.

My yearling ram boys have never, ever made an attempt to do such a thing even at breeding season and I have no reason why that is true. But I still keep an eye out when I'm in with them just to be on the safe side.

While many people feel strongly that a ram's act of aggression toward the shepherd should be met with a visit to the slaughter house, my perspective is that I don't want to eliminate all tendency toward aggression because I don't want to end up with a sheep that doesn't have the instinct to protect itself or its offspring. This may be a loose connection but I've read of other breeds where this became an issue, and so its always stayed in the back of my mind.

Had I eliminated Clef after the first aggression, I would have missed out on some very nice lambs and the opportunity to see where this experiment in sheep behavior would end up. Fortunately for us and our farm, its ended up well.

Whatever your thoughts are on ram aggression, or your experiences are, you must do what you believe to be in the best interest of your flock and farm. I am not suggesting that all rams be allowed to confront and be aggressive toward their shepherd by any stretch. I am simply offering my experience as food for thought.


Regards,
Kathryn






 

No comments:

Post a Comment