Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I love Finnsheep!

Finnsheep Ewe - Caden
I love Finnsheep! Period.

Finnsheep for our homestead are the dogs of the sheep world.

In addition to beautiful, lustrous fleeces, lively triplets, quads and quintuplet lambs, colorful genetics that allow for a range of possibilities, their docile and friendly nature clinched it for us here at Fossil Creek Farm.

In our early enthusiasm for sheep of any/all kinds we experimented with Corriedale, Clun Forest, Icelandics, Border Leicester and perhaps one or two I've forgotten to mention but it all came down to who I could handle with ease, often without an extra pair of hands, and basically who like ME.

Because I do the shearing each year myself, medicate and treat injuries when needed, catch, separate and wean, rotate the flock on pasture during the warm months etc. it was important to me to have animals that made those tasks easy, not harder. Finnsheep won, hands down.

But the final point is this: Finnsheep, much like dogs, enjoy interacting with people. Oh yeah, you get the occasional few who pass on the hugs and scratches in favor of keeping a safe distance but eventually even they come around. They like spending time with me, and I do believe they read my expression when I talk to them, just like the Border Collie does. They are attentive, and personable companions, and for us, its a no brainer.

We LOVE FINNSHEEP!

1 comment: