Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December 11, 2013

Bygone Days
December 11, 2013 here.

Snow on the ground, cold temps, clear air and weather that changes moment to moment no kidding.

The sheep are all settled in their winter enclosures.
Breeding has begun and indeed, is almost completed.

Spring 2014 will see new lambs again and I will be midwife to the ewes, a role I don't mind because it almost invariably has me playing a supporting part, one which allows me to simply watch.

Lambing time is stressful to say the least, much of which I bring on myself, admittedly since I can't stand the excitement of waiting for the lambs and feel I have to check on the ewes hourly. This ritual starts a good two weeks before I know they are due in the hope that I can stare the ewes into labor somehow. To date, no such luck!

There is little else that compares with seeing a long awaited and hoped for lamb, newly out of the
wrapper ( ewe ) shocked into this world and valiantly struggling to breathe, stand and nurse. Those first few moments and hours are tense for me and each year I vow not to put myself through it again, only to anticipate the next breeding season as soon as the current one has seen the last new lamb to be born for the year.

Now, winter is the time for weaving, spinning and gearing up for Spring. Around here this is often a phenomenon we have come to term " mud season".  Rather than a nice gradual warming up and flourishing of plants and creatures, we have snow which melts all at once causing flooding and making the ground obnoxiously muddy. This gives way to "April Showers" and our Spring is curtailed due to rain, mud and sometimes ice that makes the idea of starting spring farm chores a joke. Yet, we somehow survive and get things done anyway, and have come to anticipate this cycle.

So for now, I'll skirt fleeces, spin fiber and weave up as much as I can get done because its only 126 days until the first lambs are due! But...........who's counting?

2 comments:

  1. This year I gave the Finn rams only two weeks with their girls so we have lambs due April 10 to 24 :-) At least the barn wont be too cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to keep us posted with pics etc. as lambing happens.

      Delete