Saturday, January 4, 2014

January Happenings

https://www.etsy.com/shop/oldschoolhandwovens?ref=si_shop
The big news for January is that we have re-opened our Etsy Shop known as oldschoolhandwovens.

Listings will be added slowly but steadily as I interject the shop tasks with the rest of the goings on here. Please be patient with me. Any questions about goods or services, please ask, don't be shy!

On another note, the sheep have come through the bitter weather well, to my relief.

Our newest shelter, the larger hoop house with the brown cover is proving to exceed my expectations.

Unlike previous hoop house shelters, this one, designed by my DH, utilizes aluminum piping bent and welded for extra strength against the snow loads and high winds. Its tall enough for me to walk around in which is a huge plus as walking hunched over in a half crouch really isn't fun or conducive to taking care of bedding etc.

 The size of the structure makes it easier for me to work in, accommodates more sheep, and will allow for the cleaning it out in the spring to be much more readily accomplished. All this and I can still reach up from the inside to slap the roof and knock the snow off without aid of a tool to assist. All good. Kudos to DH for doing a great job!

Having considered how much I like this new building I've concluded the only element missing is a way to close both ends.
 For the most part the sheep should have the choice of entering or leaving, but there are times when closing them in securely is necessary and as yet, we haven't devised a method to do so, though I have a plan to create swinging gates.
These will most likely be constructed from cattle panels cut in two sections. When added to the end of the structure, they will swing inward to open and keep them out of the way until such time as it is appropriate to close them. Then they will swing outward, coming together in the middle where they will be secured. Easy!

Next year I'll have another just like it and then for all intents, I will be set on critter housing.

One thing about farm life that is certain - the more skills you have and the more things you can do yourself, the better off you will be. Everything from vet skills to growing and preserving food are vital. Thank God we followed our interests early in our lives, as quirky as they seemed to friends and family, because its those skills we now rely on.  It is funny how in hindsight we were preparing for this lifestyle even without truly realizing it.

Now if we could only bale our own hay!

Regards,
Kathryn


No comments:

Post a Comment