Saturday, January 11, 2014

January 11, 2014

We've come through the Arctic blast without incident, and now we're braving the ice covered frozen ground saturated with rain. The warnings now are for flooding due to the rain and melting snow.
Mere walking outside is life threatening without proper foot gear, and driving all the more so.

Oddly there have been moments when it feels much like early spring and I think for an instant that it is time to tap trees for sugaring and lambs aren't far off. Then I realize we have another 15 weeks or so of winter and ponder what lies ahead.

Breeding has ceased and the ewes have been paired with three rams this year. A white ram, who carries for color and spotting, a brown ram and a piebald. I am, as ever, excited at the prospects.

The expectation is for at least 40 lambs and closer to 50, so I've made the decision that all ram lambs will be sold to the meat market, unless I have a buyer. While difficult, the revenue will allow for maintaining the fiber and breeding stock.

We are now excepting deposits for reservations on lambs, and also on fleeces. This year there will be 31 fleeces from a variety of different colored sheep, white being predominant and excellent for dyeing.

I'm happy to answer questions and speak with shepherds or potential shepherds regarding the flock and lamb purchases. Feel free to ask.

Also happy to accept deposits on 2014 fleeces as well, contact me for pictures and details.

Regards,
Kathryn



2 comments:

  1. Kathryn I don't know if all your fleeces sell for you but there are plenty of fleece lovers on Ravelry who would love Finnsheep fleece :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jody,
      I'll check it out. This year I'll have more than I can use, sadly, so selling them would work nicely!

      Delete