Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Prolificacy

Registered Finnsheep Ewe - Amelia
This is our 6th year raising sheep and our 3rd year raising Finnsheep exclusively. Amelia, shown in the photo at right, had quads this year after having given triplets last year, twins the year before that and a singleton the year before that.
She and her daughter Caden, born here at Fossil Creek Farm, lambed at exactly the same time and caused this shepherd to be hustling a bit trying to keep up.
Caden had quintuplets, so in a brief period of about 30 minutes, the flock grew by 9.

We've had quads before but quints was a new one for our farm, and this was Caden's second lambing. She had twins last year, so to go from twins to quints was a big leap for her, and I wonder what next lambing season will hold.

Both Caden and Amelia are exceptional dams, caring for their offspring with a devotion that deserves admiration. Attentive, protective and ample supply of milk for their lambs.

One thing about breeding Finnsheep is that you cannot really predict how many lambs will be born from any particular ewe though I make myself crazy at lambing time trying to.
It's a wait and see situation, and for about a month prior to the actual lambing date I start watching the sheep in hopes that they will go early and give me a surprise.

Needless to say, I love lambing time though it is stressful trying to be vigilant, observant and unobtrusive as the girls pass their days waiting, and I anxious and excited try to contain myself until such time as it is obvious there are lambs about to be born.

Sometimes the girls fool my best attempts and manage to have lambs without me, which is both a relief and an insult/disappointment. Finding lambs up and nursing, all dry and happy is pleasing in that I no longer have to agonize over whether things will go well and the lambs will make the first few hours of life without obstacles to overcome.

During lambing time I try not to go anywhere, ANYWHERE ( for days and days ) and make sure I check on sheeple regularly in case they need my help for some reason, and I love being present when the lambs are born as it's much like Christmas, waiting for a package to be unwrapped with the anticipation of what might be inside.

Because Finnsheep can have as many as seven, yes, seven lambs at once, I feel a responsibility to do all I can to be present at lambing time to offer assistance where needed. Personally I am a big fan of not interfering with a natural process, but since these are domestically bred animals, who have been bred to have many lambs, I see my role as protector and facilitator.  And it's in the farms'  best interest to assure a positive outcome for dam and lambs, both financially and in the time invested.

This year we had 30 lambs from 11 ewes with two stillborns that couldn't have been predicted.

I feel this is a successful outcome, and am happy with the lessons I've learned and their application to this years' lambing time.

But what I've come to appreciate is ...no matter how well I managed this year and what valuable lessons I've learned, the outcome is not due to my skill or experience and you can never have enough of either. No where in my life is God more evident than in this little band of creatures I am fortunate to watch over. If the flock prospers, it is more likely in spite of my efforts rather than due to them and what the next lambing season will hold is anyones' guess.

Regards,
Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment