Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ram lambs from 2013









All of these ram lambs have been sired by the adult rams on the Ram page. Many have been sired by Freddie. Our white ram BEN isn't yet listed on the ram page as I haven't gotten a good photo of him yet, but he has produced nicely built, exceptional ewe and ram lambs over the past two years, including the quintuplets born to Caden this June. Pic coming shortly.

As I stood to take the first photo, I got the groups attention. Then as I continued to photograph, their curiosity overcame them and they started toward me to try to determine what I was up to. Eventually they got bored and resumed their grazing, one by one.

Within the flock are several piebalds. The most striking one is the boy with the black and white face. The other piebalds are more subtle and as their fleeces grow some of them appear to be simple HST's, yet are indeed piebalds.

I find it interesting that out of the piebald lambs we've had here in the last two years, its the ram lambs that display the majority of that trait. I'm not sure if that is coincidental or just my luck so far, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future.

The last two years, we've had grey lambs from the same sire/dam duo, and I love the color and fleece on these lambs. Last year we had one ram lamb with grey, this year a ewe (sold) and a ram lamb. The grey is not the same as the silver or black badger coloring but more of a steely grey color. I definitely intend to keep that in the flock.

I hope you enjoy looking at the boys. They are for sale, and you can direct inquiries through the comments on this blog or to : fossilcreekfarm@yahoo.com

Regards,
Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment