Sunday, October 27, 2013

Using Our Wool

As a weaver who likes to use my own wool, I have run into a few glitches with supply.


The loom takes alot of yarn to operate. A 2 ft x 3 ft rug or a 40 x 60 throw blanket will use as much as five pounds to complete the textile.

When I first started spinning and weaving I did it all by hand, myself and gained experience along with many fruitful hours creating threads.

But once I had my own flock I realized that time was more of an issue and best spent tending the critters, so I opted to send my fleeces to a mill. This turned out to be a great decision for a variety of reasons.

The mill I use - Dreamweaver Creations in Sherburne, N.Y., is located a mere 17 miles from my home affording me the opportunity to just load up my truck and make a trek over. Once there I have the gift of being able to talk with mill owner Heather Lathrop about my plans, the fleeces I've brought and what I want the end result to be. Often she will show me something from another customer or her own fiber ( she raises Blue Faced Leicesters ) that may convince me to alter my plans somewhat. This face - to - face time is invaluable.

Our flock usually hovers around 15 animals give or take, which provide about 75 lbs of fleece after skirting. During processing I might lose 8 lbs of that leaving me with 68 lbs. Turning that 68 lbs into a 2 ply yarn gives me just enough for 13 projects. Not really as much as I'd like but overwintering more sheep isn't feasible either.

I have gone outside the Finn breed to local shepherds who aren't using their wool and arranged to purchase from them, incorporating that resource into a variety of projects and saving the Finn wool for special items only.
In this way I've had felt, roving and batts made from organically raised Clun Forest sheep nearby, lovely yarns and rovings from Border Cheviot sheep raised in proximity of the fiber mill, and a host of other breeds and types including alpaca and mohair.

Ideally I'd love to arrange to purchase unused good Finn wool from other shepherds, and utilize more of it in my special projects but most Finn shepherds use their own wool and the supply is limited so I work with what I have. Perhaps one day I'll be able to arrange to purchase unused Finn wool from other shepherds and expand my supply for hand woven items from my loom. Till then,

Regards,
Kathryn




Organic felt sheets and batts
 

Detail of commissioned saddle blanket


Detail of Wool Rug
 
 
Reproducing 19th Century Venetian Carpet
 
Throw Blanket in Progress
 
 
                                                  

                                                         
     Hand spinning organic roving


 Handspun Organic Chunky Yarn
 
 
Thick and Think Finn - Mohair blend
 

100% pure Finn Thick and Thin

No comments:

Post a Comment