Thursday, October 31, 2013

Post Auction Day

Here we are a day later and the smoke has settled from the sale of the boys, both teenagers from last year and lambs from this year.

10 went to auction all together, and as sad as I was to see them go, I'm over it ( for the most part ).

There will be another trailer load to go in two weeks, depending on whether or not I've managed to sell any in the meanwhile, the remaining lambs may all be leaving at that point.

With an eye to excellence I sorted through the ram lambs and held back several that I thought were superior, hoping to find shepherds looking for high quality rams. I also intend to keep several for my own flock, at least for this year.
Of these, one rather handsome black fellow could be a color powerhouse in the flock. He himself is a black with white blaze and socks, with excellent fleece, but I believe he carries for badger grey and piebald so if I'm fortunate and choose the right ewe, his litter might have white, black, badger and piebald, which would be really cool!

I have retained for my flock, Frost, Finnegan, Freckles and the little boy described above. 

For sale are Flash and Ferdinand.

At any rate, I'll be a busy shepherd over the next few weeks.

Ewes Dallas and Cwen are separated and ready for their breeding to Asa and will go to their new flock in mid-December.

New breeding groups for the rest of the ewe flock are being planned now for November 23 which should give us Apirl 15th lambs.

And the Circle of Life continues.


Regards,
Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment