Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Blech!

7 a.m. and still dark-ish out, certainly overcast and snowing. I am not, not, NOT ready. Blech.

On todays' agenda, among many things, is making a final decision on who goes to the auction this week. I have mature rams, ram lambs and ewe lambs. If I'm to be honest and really harsh, there is even a mature ewe or two that should be on the trailer this trip.

BUT...ahem...flock goals, what about flock goals? Seems like lately I've lost track of what those were if I ever knew to begin with.

My first elementary goal was to have fleece. Any sheep would do, didn't matter breed, gender or even fleece quality in the beginning. I was so thrilled to have my own ovine I wasn't picky.

Then the reality of caring for a growing flock set in. I've always been athletic-ish, and strong, able - bodied but as time marches on I find myself slowing up just a bit and becoming a tad bit pickier ( is that a word? ) about the tasks I take on and under what circumstances.

Gradually I made the transition from a mixed flock to a purebred flock of Finns because they are just plain delightful and easy to work with. Easy to move, fun companionship, colorful fleeces and the cutest lambs in the world. No brainer.

Of course it doesn't take much to increase the flock. I brought in new breeding stock with the idea of selling some of the older animals, had 30 lambs, and assimilated animals from a friends' flock and here I am. Too many sheep for the resources.

They are all wonderful, each with its' own special quality that makes it somewhat of a consideration for keeping. No lamb left behind and all that.

If I were to revisit flock goals and look at simply growing wool, then 40 would be about right. Finn fleeces aren't overly large and as a weaver I use a lot of wool in my projects, so the more wool critters the better from that stand point. No need to breed any more unless I lose someone to sale or death.

The flock is predominantly white, with a few colored animals tossed in because we are just beginning to have a few generations that are displaying color. I like the white most especially for dyeing, but it sure is fun to look at all those colored sheep in the field too.

Then there are bloodlines. I'd like to establish three or four separate and distinct bloodlines to allow for greater diversity in breeding groups and of course that requires a few rams I wouldn't usually need.

I'm seriously considering not breeding this year, just to give myself a break, and this could be a viable plan but how sad to be lamb-less come the regeneration of Spring.  Sometimes I think lambs are the sole reason for having sheep. So much cuteness all in one package. Not to mention genetic potential for furthering the breed.

Well, frankly, my head hurts. And to be honest there are those moments where I think everyone should just go, and be done.

I have my original rams who've done a great job with the gene pool, have excellent fleece and I had hoped for them to retire and die of old age here.

I have some of their offspring, also rams, that for one reason or another I haven't gotten around to using yet, but someday....

I have ram lambs that are outstanding in confirmation , temperament and fleece with exactly the right bloodlines I need, I cannot bear to part with ...yet.

There are ewes that are the matriarchs and too good to let go, their daughters who are just getting warmed up, and their daughters who are too young to breed this year, but will give grand fleece in the spring.

Geeze, wish me luck!

Regards,
Kathryn


No comments:

Post a Comment