Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Loss Happens

Today I decided to let the ewes into the small grass pastures to graze.

Upon returning from opening the fields, I walked through the shelter and discovered something I've never encountered before, a premature lamb, deceased. My guess is that it was stillborn.

I set about identifying the dam, and spotted her without any difficulty as she hadn't passed the placenta.

She was a young ewe, 11 months old. She bred too early and for reasons unknown to me, couldn't sustain the lamb. Perfect but for the obvious need to develop yet a bit more. I think another two weeks might have done it, but such was not to be.

So, one goes out in the morning to do what is expected to be routine chores and never knows will one will find. 

I finally was able to capture both Ebonys' and Cadens' lambs to my satisfaction via digital camera for dummies ( just kidding ) and I am posting now. I hope you enjoy them.

Regards,
Kathryn

All lambs pictured are for sale upon weaning. Please contact me for details.

Ebony and her ewe and ram lambs

Cadens' ram lamb

Cadens/ ram lamb

Cadens' ram lamb


Ebonys' ewe and ram lamb

What's funny about this is that the lambs are two young to begin to eat yet they mimic what mom does in preparation for the coming day when they can. Too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment