Thursday, April 3, 2014

Countdown to Lambs 2014

Spring is here, though still a bit reluctant it seems. That's okay with me, I'm not ready for hot humid weather just yet.

Winter was a bear but we came through it with flying colors. I'm glad to see the back of it at last.

March 31 was a raw day, wet and cold, and felt like an official start to mud season. Goodbye to treacherous walking conditions for both man and beast, Hello to slippery, sticky mud.

Hay stores are low, but the grass is at least visible if not yet standing at attention and seeking the rays of the sun.

April 14 is the due day for our first lambs of 2014. Amelia will be the first ewe to lamb this year.
Amelia with 11 days left before lambing.

Don't you DARE take my picture now!
 
So, each day I will post a picture of her progress until the lambs are finally here.

Last year she gave us four - two rams and two ewes. This year I'm placing my money on triplets. Amelia has large, large lambs and is an excellent, very protective and maternal dam who loves her lambs and keeps them close to her at all times.  She is friendly, curious and extremely attentive, trying to read your expression when you talk to her.  She is calming and a wonderful companion as I sit with her on the warm days, watching and learning about sheep behavior while the lambs finish their preparation for the outside world.

I hope you enjoy this journal of our 2014 lambing season.

Regards,
Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment